There are a number of organic methods of pest control, including:
- use of diluted cow urine and vermiwash as a preventive measure
- picking off pests by hand
- use of pheromone traps for fruit flies
- growing plants like maize which attract insects like lady bugs (predators) that attack pests
- use of microbial pesticides and biological agents like Heliothis, Spodoptera, Trichogramma, Trichoderma, etc.
- use of organic pesticides made from neem, ginger, chill, Vitex negundo (Indian pivet tree), custard apple (the seeds), Pongamia pinnata (pongam/karanj), asafoetida, turmeric, garlic, tobacco, nux vomica, tulsi, Persian lilac, etc.
Each organic pesticide is made and used in a specific way.